Doctoral Researcher – Hardware Design and Optimization of Many-Core Architectures
as soon as possible.
This is a limited position. The position serves for continued scientific training including the possibility to attain a doctorate degree.
Your Working Environment:
The research group Architecture and Compiler Design at Hardware/Software Co-Design, FAU focuses on the design of dedicated processor architectures and corresponding mapping tools. The post advertised investigates the design, optimization (with regard to throughput, energy efficiency, fault tolerance) and prototyping of accelerators in form of programmable processor arrays, as well as the integration into heterogeneous MPSoCs (Multi-Processor System-on-Chip). The vacancy is part of the Transregional Collaborative Research Centre 89 “Invasive Computing” and offers—due to the interdisciplinary collaboration with an industrial partner as well as doctoral researchers from FAU, TUM, and KIT—an excellent scientific environment and various development opportunities and possibilities for qualifications.
Your tasks and opportunities:
- As part of your doctoral research, we provide guidance as well as the freedom for the systematic examination of techniques for the modern design and optimization of future many-core architectures.
- You work on innovative methods to significantly advance energy efficiency and performance (e.g., approximate computing) in parallel processor architectures.
- You can prototype your designed processor architectures on modern multi-FPGA platforms, integrate them into the heterogeneous MPSoCs developed within the Collaborative Research Centre, and test and evaluate them.
- You have a Master’s degree in Computer Science (CS), Electrical Engineering (EE), or a related subject.
- You have skills and interest in computer architecture, hardware description languages (e.g., VHDL, SystemVerilog), and FPGA design tools.
- You enjoy working in a team, are open minded and communicative, and are interested in both methodical as well as practical aspects of novel processor architectures.
- Applications should include your CV, degrees and certificates, job references, as well as relevant special knowledge and professional experiences.
- Pay Grade, depending on qualification: TVL E 13
- The post advertised is a full-time position but limited position.
- Disabled persons with equivalent aptitude will be favored. The Friedrich-Alexander-Universität (FAU) is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply.
We are looking forward to your application, send to us electronically not later than January 31, 2019 by e-mail to
For further information please do not hesitate to contact:
More vacant positions:
For more information about more vacant positions at our chair, please visit our German website https://www.cs12.tf.fau.de/lehrstuhl/stellenangebote